Friday, March 25, 2011

A Baking Blunder

A few months ago, my husby decided that he wanted to take some treats into work. So he decided he wanted to take in brownies and I suggested rice crispy treats as well. I told Brian that he would have to make the brownies by himself, and I would make the rice crispies. Everything went fine, the rice crispies came off the oven just in time for the brownies to come out.

So Brian placed the brownies on top of the stove. Between the front burner and the back one, everything seemed to be fine. A few minutes later, out of the spot where we had checked for the peak of perfection of the brownies, a billow of smoke came exploding out. It was like watching smoke come out of a volcano, rapid and leaving me wondering if it would suddenly explode. My heart started to pound out of my chest, and my mind raced trying to figure out what on earth was happening. The smoke alarm started blaring in the background, and I examined the brownies in a state of confusion. Staring at the stove, for just a little too long. Suddenly my brain clicks and realizes that I need to get the brownies outside (yes, my brain reacted just a little too slowly.). I grabbed some kitchen towels and rush toward the balcony door.

When I returned inside, I once again examined what had just happened on the stove. Brian and I had both made a baking blunder. When I took the rice crispys off of the stove, I forgot to turn the burner off! Brian when he set the brownies down on the burners, the back half of them were over the oven vent and the front on the hot burner. In effect, we both burnt the perfect, beautiful, fudgy brownies. With the apartment fire alarm crisis behind us, we brought the smoldering brownies back inside the house. I was ready to trash them, but Brian said, "Wait maybe they're still o.k..." At this point it is like a chocolate brick, and he took a crunchy bite out of one. He looks at me with as much of a serious tone as he can muster and chokes out, "Their o.k...." At this proclamation I decide what the heck, and take a little taste of my own... It was very...smokey... crunchy... with a side of charcoal. Brian still wanted to take them to work. I told him he couldn't. He then of course demanded to know why... I told him that everyone at his work was going to think that I have made this atrocity that we were going to call brownies. I couldn't have that! I couldn't stand that embarrassment! And to his dismay half of the treats that he wanted to take to work went into the garbage.

For one thing, it is of course always the brain dead, easy things that I can't seem to make. But, of course things that have a gazillion steps to making, no problem, it turns out every-time. However, this was my first box brownie mishap. I still can't make rice on the stove. I haven't even been able to master brown rice even in my rice cooker. I have never been able to make no-bake chocolate cookies.There is one other thing that I can't make, but I don't remember.

But I am glad to say the brownies that I made last night have turned out to be fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. Wonder why mine always come out crunchy...

    ReplyDelete